Originally designed by Athens architect William Winstead Thomas
in the then-popular Victorian Italianate Villa style, the house was extensively remodeled in the 1930’s by Nashville architect, and son-in-law of Edgar and Gipsy Tichenor, Francis Boddie Warfield.
Remodeled in the Neoclassical style in favor with prominent southerners at the time, the Tichenors also added modern indoor plumbing, electricity and heating systems. Though the interior was reconfigured as well, much of the original woodwork, doors and inlaid marbleized mantels are original.
The eclectically furnished interior features pieces dating from the late 18th century up until the mid-20th. Many original pieces, such as the Governor’s carved mahogany bed, were rescued from storage in the servants house and restored by Emily Tichenor. Part of the charm of the house is that, unlike many house museums, it remained occupied by the same family until just over a decade ago.
Today the McDaniel-Tichenor House plays an important part in Monroe and Walton County
as a source of civic pride, gathering place for its citizenry, and significant educational facility,
reminding us of a simpler time not so long ago.